Tuesday, November 11, 2008

New Boarders

The rain has begun, the mud is here, the blankets are on and still we are squeezing the last bit of summer out of every day. If there is even a chance of decent weather, Maddy and I are hitting the trails. I know I need to be working on some drills in the arena, but the allure of the changing leaves and the crisp air is too much to resist. We have some new boarders, Karen and Sonja. I hooked up with them this weekend, to show them a few trail options. Sonja is 15 and should be very proud of herself. Not knowing a lot about horses, she bought a yearling and turned to Steve Rother to help her get through the training. Her horse is now five and you should see this paint side pass over and open and close the gates. Sonja has done a fantastic job. She is a natural. Karen is living her dream...always wanting to have horses and now in her 50s she is enjoying them at last. They really are a nice family and I look forward to having a teenager out at the barn.

8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'd grab every minute I could outside on the trails instead of drilling in the arena. There's plenty of time for that coming sooner than later. It's nice to have new boarders to play with, they look like fun.

Flying Lily said...

Great horsey trail companions are like gold.

Molly said...

Perfect. A nice pair to get to know.
Do they blog about their horses?

allhorsestuff said...

Nice post, nice picks too!
Kac

The Heart Of Now said...

I aspire to one day go on a trail ride. After all of these years of taking lessons and leasing I've yet to get out of the arena. The closest I've been is the track in the back field of the farm. I'm shooting for next year. Thanks for the TAG, I just posted it today. I've been dealing with a bad back and no internet, how lame is that? You and Maddy are a cute pair! Let's hope for more sun and less rain!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos and well-written. Nice post.

Callie said...

How fun and I ditto Arlene's comment about grabbing every minute. NIce to find new riding partners!

Anonymous said...

I have seen Steve Rother work with people and their horses and i really like what he does. He is quite approachable and i enjoyed taking with him.