Sunday, October 26, 2008

HyTyme Equine Rescue


I decided to spend my 36th birthday volunteering out at HyTyme Equine Rescue in Eagle Creek, Oregon. Unfortunately, the facility is dealing with an outbreak of Pigeon Fever, so some of the horses were in quarantine. The owner of the place, Jim Elliott, invited me out anyway to get a tour and meet his beloved Drum Horses on the other side of the facility. The Drum Horse looks similar to the Gypsy Vanner, lots of mane and lots of feathers. They were used in England to carry the big kettle drums of the Queen's Cavalry. They had to be strong enough to carry the rider and kettle drum, usually about 300 pounds. Jim fell in love with the breed and bought two stallions from a farm in Pennsylvania. They found some draft PMU mares in Idaho and they had their first crop of Drum foals this year. The stallion, Apollo is quite a character. He is pictured at left and has the most gorgeous mane, it just flows everywhere. When Jim called his name, Apollo strolled over and just leaned into all the scratches and attention. The herd of mares with their little (not so little:-) foals had to come check out what was going on. The Drums seem to be a friendly, curious breed. Some of the foals had the most amazing eyelashes, a wonderful mix of white and black. One of the foals lost it's mother this summer to colic and is being raised by a donkey. I fell in love with that little filly...she was so sweet. I am hoping to help out around the place once or twice a month. I have to wait until the Pigeon Fever is gone before starting. I can't risk transferring it out to our barn. I wore things that I won't wear at my barn and I washed my car just to be safe. I am hoping to help by taking photos and video of the rescue horses to aid in getting them adopted. Also, I wouldn't mind brushing horses or cleaning a few stalls. When it is safe to go out, I have to get together with their barn manager and see where I can help. I am really looking forward to helping in any way I can. You can read more about their Drum Horses at this website.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the drum horses but I love horses so this was a special treat.

Grey Horse Matters said...

The Drum horses are beautiful. I would love to have them or the Gypsy vanners. Just don't know about keeping all that hair burr and tangle free. It's a nice thing you are doing. Hope their pigeon fever is cured soon. You should have a great time helping out and I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Callie said...

INteresting post. I've always thought that my dream horse wold be a Gypsy Vanner, but I have my two dream horses now! LOL. What a fun place to volunteer at!

Anonymous said...

What interesting and pretty horses!

allhorsestuff said...

Cool thing you're doin!
I love those Black and Whites with the huge bald faces!
Man, this Pigeon thing is really lasting this fall..must be the downside of the great warmth.

Can't wait to hear more..and maybe go with you too sometime
Kac

Lori Skoog said...

Thank you for the tour of the farm. The horses are beautiful and look well taken care of. I'm so glad the donkey could take care of the young filly. Which one is she?
Lori Skoog

C-ingspots said...

Those horses are just beautiful and I think that would be a wonderful way to spend a birthday - great idea!! Just one question: how does a 501c non-profit horse rescue facility manage to breed their own horses??

Rising Rainbow said...

I've never heard of drum horses before. Pidgeon fever, what a pain that would be. I'm glad you're taking such precautions not to transfer it to your barn.

Original L said...

Wow, how cute they are. I'd love a picture of the parti-colored eyelashes!

Kathy C said...

Thank you for your kind words about Emmett. I sometimes feel the online equine community is closer than our individual equine communities. Your warm thoughts were appreciated.

Strawberry Lane said...

What a wonderful thing you are doing! Terrific photos ... I'm completely hooked! Look forward to more pictures and details.

Unknown said...

It's nice from to help to the barn works.
I did not know drum horses before I read your post. They look kind.

Gail said...

You are a truly amazing person to volunteer your time to such a good cause.
I was not familiar with Drum horses but, thanks to you, I know a little more.
Keep up the good work.

CrimsonAngel said...

This rescue is truly a fake one. They abuse their 501 (c) status and BREEDING horses when they are supposedly rescuing them?? I don't think that's a true rescue. That and I know of a horse that was there and was supposed to STAY with the rescue.. well the horse never did and was "adopted" (I use that term loosely, their adoption fees are freaking outrageous) out, this was them breaking their contract with the girl.

Unknown said...

This rescue has ripped off many people and shown rudeness also i know at least 10-15 people that have been cheated out of horses,trailers,tack you name it. They also do breeding that is not ok in the way they do i am saying this not to be rude just to give a fair warning that this place is not ok.

Anonymous said...

I have been a volunteer at this rescue for a very long time. I have never seen anyone treated rudely, or have seen anyone unhappy with their dealings here either. They do not sell horse trailers or tack. Any tack that is donated is either donated to another rescue or sold at our annual fund raiser. The prices of the horses are based on the cost of rehabilitation, training, etc. I guess the proverbial, "you get what you pay for" holds true here. It is well known that this rescue is very particular as to where the horses are placed. Maybe, we have a few unhappy potential adopters that were just not suitable. (That's okay with all of us here.) It is about the HORSES!