Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Theresa Demarest


I met this amazing woman about a year ago, Theresa Demarest. She is a singer song writer who dabbled a bit in making movies. She did a wonderful movie called "A Herd of Two," about becoming a horse owner for the first time and turning to natural horsemanship to train her young mare. I emailed her and talked about her movie and next thing you know, I am helping her with her Keiko's Dream...Keiko's Legacy movie. We are both learning from each other as we go along in this journey of film making. She took a little break from the film today and brought me out to meet Tehya, her baby. Theresa is so dedicated and driven with her music and films and she is that way with her mare, Tehya. Theresa worked through all the ups and downs of training a young, hot, saddlebred-arabian cross. There is a beautiful scene in "A Herd of Two" where Theresa sings as she walks to the pasture and Tehya comes bounding over the hill and runs to be with her. It truly is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Unfortunately Tehya injured her stifle and it is questionable if Theresa will ever be able to ride her. Despite the frustration, she embraces the simple things they can do together...short walks hunting for apple trees and just simply spending time grooming and pampering her. I just love seeing people that are dedicated to there animals. I enjoyed strolling along with them and seeing the caring and compassion. Today the little herd expanded and we became a herd of three.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a great story! I hope that the injury turns out not to be so bad, but it is good that it is not a deal breaker for her. It really is nice to hear about other people who love their horses no matter what!

20 meter circle of life said...

I've known T for years and she really is a wonderful woman. I have not seen Tehya in a few years but she looks good.

Grey Horse Matters said...

What a wonderful story. It is so nice to see people who love their horses and spend time with them even when they can't be ridden. We have one like that(Donnie). This sounds like a great opportunity to do some inspiring work, to help the animals involved. Good luck with it.

Anonymous said...

what a great pair...er, trio! Thanks for sharing this one.

Molly said...

Tehya is lovely. It is certainly not hard just spending time with a horse. There is so much of the relationship that is on the ground anyway, or it should be. Lucky Tehya, lucky Theresa.

Anonymous said...

I think the hardest part about loving a horse is the idea of having to let it go because of an injury, and so it's always such wonderful news when that isn't the most obvious option!

Flying Lily said...

What a gorgeous horse. How wonderful to be working on horse films - that's a whole creative outlet I can only dream of. And I LOVE horse movies....

Anonymous said...

How exciting to be able to help her on her next project. You must keep us posted on the progress. Tehya is a beautiful horse - i hope that she is able to cross over the hurdle of her injury.

Callie said...

Nice story.....cool!

The Heart Of Now said...

I find it amazing at how much there is to learn about these amazing creatures. I feel that I will continue to discover something new daily. I look forward to watching both movies. It must be so wonderful to be able to work with horses and film.