Thursday, May 1, 2008

Kentucky Derby Cheater


No doubt if we watch the Kentucky Derby this weekend, we will see trainer Steve Asmussen mugging for the cameras. I hate this guy. He is a trainer with a long track record of drugging horses, once convicted of giving a dose of some drug 750 times the legal limit. He was suspended for 6 months in 2006 for using Mepicicaine which numbs the pain in horses too sore to even walk. He trained "Curlin" and he wins more than any other trainer at the tracks. I wish for once the media would ask some tough questions to racing stewards and track officials and get this guy banned from horse racing instead of treating him like some kind of a hero. He has two horses running in this Kentucky Derby...Pyro and Z Fortune. If you read this article, I think it is evident the horses are lame or injured and he still plans to run them, probably heavily drugged. This guy makes me sick. Of course he is not the only trainer with a history of drugging horses. There are plenty of cheaters among the pack. Hopefully Pyro and Z Fortune don't break down on Saturday and if they do, maybe the public will quit turning a blind eye to these trainers who clearly cheat and neglect horses under their care.

10 comments:

Ginger said...

That's disgusting. It's so sad when money and fame outweigh common decency and compassion.

emma said...

That is disgraceful!!! Do they not have drug testing? This is why I am not a fan of racing :( Some bad seeds ruin the reputation of the sport.

Anonymous said...

All the horses in Zinder are drugged - that's why Arwen only races in the insignificant races. That way I can tell how good she is compared to the rest, but there is no way I'm going to have her drugged just so that she can compete with other horses who are worn-out after a few seasons! I plan to keep my darling for as long as I can...

Callie said...

I believe that this is a huge problem among many of the trainers. It's a shame.

20 meter circle of life said...

It is so sad, the racing commission needs to make stronger rules and penaltys. Unfortunately I think the money in horse racing is so large that it makes it very hard. We will mostly likely never know the "true" champions of the sport.

Rising Rainbow said...

Yes, I have read about this guy before. He even looks sleazy to me. I'm almost gagged last year when a reporter referred to him as a horseman. It's so unfortunate for the horses that whenever money goes corruption follows. Both eventing and racing have problems that come down to people wanting to win regardless of the cost. That's a bad place for any horse to be.

Molly said...

Thanks for reminding us about this sleezy man. I'll be watching the Derby and hope his colts make it safely around...without winning.

Anonymous said...

yikes he should be put out to pasture! As an owner of an OTTB (pre-me).. this is a subject near and dear to my heart. Picken's my first horse (I was a total greenie) but she's become my equine soulmate. I shudder to think what her "former life" musta been like

GP in Montana off to a dressage show this weekend and ... an endurance ride with Gazi next weekend. :)

William Nobles said...

Boy, sounds like the Pro-cycling trainers! Unless the rider can get EPO themselves by getting cancer.

kaylee said...

When this much money is on the
line, this is what happens.
It is wrong and he should be in jail
not in the winning circle.

The loss of Eight Belles
is heartbreaking.
What a horrible way to go.

kay lee