Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Damn it!

I have to swear! Maddy was kicked on her left hock. My mom was in town so we went out to see Maddy and I saw her hop. I immediately thought it was her left front which was were she fractured her coffin bone, but on closer inspection, I saw the blood running down her back leg and noticed the swelling. First the panic, then the dread, then the doctoring, and then the sleepless night. I had Dr. Barb Crabbe come out the next morning and take a look. She sedated her and probed her and said it wasn't as deep as she initially thought and that with antibiotics and a week off, she should be "ok." The above picture shows the wound, but it is covered in the "aluminum" spray that acts as a bandage. So when you apply this, I didn't need to wrap it.She gave me a regimen of medicines and told me how to clean and dress the wound for the next week. Unfortunately Maddy had other ideas. She didn't want me anywhere near that leg. Although she never got me, she did cow kick a few times and I gave up, preferring to keep my teeth and just went to the other side and reach across with a dab of Furizone (did I spell that right?:-) It is healing nicely, and the swelling goes down after the cold hosing. I am still nervous and worried about the outcome. I have to work on being more optimistic when it comes to her health, but it has been so hard to stay positive when one thing happens after another.

9 comments:

Callie said...

I hear ya girl, If it's not one thing it's another. She'll be ok, you'll make sure of it. The cold hosing does wonders.

EquineSpirit said...

Poor girl! ((HUGS!!)) to you both!

Ginger said...

Oh good grief! Hopefully this will be it for awhile. I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

20 meter circle of life said...

Poor Maddy, Poor you. That just blows! Barb is terrific and Maddy will heal soon. I use her for Abu and Tonka as well

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to see where the saying "A horse is an accident waiting to happen" comes from after one thing after the other with my horse and you with Maddy!

Of course you're worried but it will work out. Cold hosing every day works wonders.

Best to you both!

Anonymous said...

Aluspray is the coolest thing they have ever invented to help with horse wounds. I am so sorry that you had another set back, but that is all this is. If everything went well all the time and no injuries ever happened it wouldn't be owning a horse :P. And fyi I did e-mail you about your comment so check your inbox.

Rising Rainbow said...

Oh man, I'm sorry. What a bummer this is. But at least is is something simple and will only require a short break.

I'm afraid I know aluspray intimately. I can't even tell you how many cans I have used this year.

Jessica said...

Dang girl. I'm so sorry. That has to be frustrating as hell.

Anonymous said...

oh bah! Poor Maddy. Hope she heals up quickly and without further incident.