Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Head Bumper

Maddy is doing well. The bump on her tendon has gone down, but I am still not working her for the week. Lots of "sweats" and quality time together. We are still planning to take her next Tuesday to the "Leg Doctor." Just because this guy gives a full diagnostic and recommends how to trim/shoe/pad them effectively. On Friday I have a trailer loading session with her to see how she deals with them before our Tuesday trip. I will have to work with her accordingly over the weekend. Just in case, I bought a head bumper. I read this horrible story once about a horse that reared or bumped his head in the trailer and cracked his poll. Brain fluid was seeping out of his ears when they arrived at their destination. That story has always haunted me, so I don't want to take any chances. I paid the $22.95 for the cool Cashel Head Bumper. It is nice and thick, but very flexible and has good clips to clip onto the halter.

2 comments:

EquineSpirit said...

Cool head bumper...always better to be safe then sorry as the saying goes! Good luck and hope all goes well!!

Rising Rainbow said...

I remember the scene is My Friend, Flicka I think, where the horse rears up and hits her head on the cross beam that is the sign into the ranch and the horse falls down dead. That has stuck in my mind forever, so I own and use a head bumper.