Sunday, March 20, 2011

Trailer Trip

The rain, the snow, the mud can't slow the girls of Painted Forest Stables down. We decided to load up and check out some new trails. I was nervous. This new trailer is a straight load, 17 feet long, and much heavier than my previous Trails West. Not to mention...I haven't worked Maddy in and out of the trailer, so I wasn't sure what she would think. Skye and Maddy loaded right in. When we got to the location, she was sweating pretty good, so the ride must have been a little nerve racking for her. They unloaded nicely, great to have a ramp. We hit the Port Blakely trails. We were only out for about an hour and half. Skye is still working up to full work from a leg injury and we didn't want to push it. We headed back home. The hard part was still ahead of me. I knew I couldn't fully relax until I had that trailer backed into its little spot. With the help of the girls, they got me in there. I need practice on backing...tend to over think it and go the wrong way with the steering wheel. The cool thing about this new trailer....a huge, huge, huge dressing room. I could put a cot in there if I wanted. I am slowly getting it organized, have some decals ordered and soon a blanket rack installed. We have officially kicked off our road tripping riding season.

12 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Good for you, getting out there. Love the trailer and tack area, and totally prefer a straight load.

Anonymous said...

Someone taught me a trick that I use when backing a trailer - hold the bottom of the steering wheel and move the bottom in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go - so say you want the rear of the trailer to move to the left, you turn the bottom of the steering wheel to the left.

I have a big 4-horse gooseneck and I hate trailering too!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Love your new trailer. It looks similar to mine and the dressing room is great, you'll find that really comes in handy. The best thing I ever put in it was a camping port-o-potty. I've always had a straight load with ramp and think they are the easiest.

Anyway, one tip that worked for me(and you probably already know it) is never use your mirrors but turn your body around to see where you're backing into.

Glad you got out for a ride.

JJ said...

I love your little trailer..it has such a nice tack room in it too!

I'm glad you had an uneventful trail ride and drive :)

allhorsestuff said...

Fun! I sent you some trailer shot pic's too, Loading up to go home~...you can add them to this post!

Kate and I learned the same way..it was from a "KATE" I learned that trick from.( she made me do it over and over for an hour, till in got it right. I was actually a hostage)
Turn bottom of the steering wheel-the direction you wish the trailer butt to go. It always works..and is the ONLY time I put my hands to the bottom of the steering wheel!
Your longer trailer is far easier to navigate than my smaller one. My sister's was maybe even longer, and i could do it easier than this dinky one I have now..it moves easier, so I can over correct faster.
YOU"LL get it...this summer, you'll be a pro Jules!(it is better with no canopy though!)

Jean said...

Super day! It's always nice to master the trailer and you got in a nice ride to top it all off!

jill said...

I had Scout out practicing and took him for a ride around the block. :-) Waiting til he's sound and then I, too, hope to be trailering around!

Rising Rainbow said...

I wonder if Maddy was sweating because the sound is different in the new trailer. That happens sometimes with a change but she'll get used to it.

Glad you had a good ride. As for backing, you'll get there. The more you use it, the better you'll be. I find when I take a break, I have more trouble than when I use it all the time. Be patient with yourself. Stressing about it only makes it more difficult.

BlogFront said...

Hi,

BlogFront.org is committed to uphold the quality standards of blogging. We strive to maintain and promote only the most credible blogs in their respective fields.

Spam blogs or "splogs" has been a problem for some time now and people are getting confused about which blog to trust.

We would like to thank you for maintaining such a reputable blog. We know that it takes time, effort and commitment to keep such a blog and as such, we have added your blog as one of the top Equine Blogs.

You can see your blog listed here: http://blogfront.org/equine

You can also claim your BlogFront Top Blogs badge at http://blogfront.org/badges/equine

Thank you for keeping your blog credible. Let's keep the blog revolution alive!

Maria Blanchard
BlogFront.org
Blog Revolucion

Parelli Central said...

Cool setup! Have fun this summer... :-)

Petra Christensen
Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
Parelli Central

Anonymous said...

Wow, does that look like fun. I really miss riding. How's Skye's leg now?
I think I told you that your horse's name is the same as the girl's name in my Keystone Stables books. Her name is Skye Nicholson, former juvenile delinquent turned horse facts lover, horse rider, and all around nice kid. :)
Marsha Hubler
http://www.marshahubler.com

Drillrider said...

Where'd you GO?