Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Parelli Lesson

On Sunday, my barnmate and I drove up to Battleground, WA for a Parelli lesson with Michael Sparling. We met Michael at the Redmond Parelli tour stop. He is a young, enthusiastic trainer so we thought "why not?" I was a little anxious about things...I haven't had a Parelli lesson since Ann Kiser left over two years ago. I still worry about trailering new places and how Maddy will respond. I need to get over my fears. Maddy walked off that trailer, took a casual look around and started eating grass. So once I was over my worries about her, I worried about myself.

Running through Parelli procedures...trying to remember all the things they teach without my modifications. My lesson went really well. We focused on all online things...he called it a "day of refinement." Polished up my weaves and worked on a better depart for the circling game. He pointed out I need to direct her zones better, which is why my circling game departs kind of started with a sideways and then depart. He was very observant and was clear with his directions. I was pretty pleased and excited to have some direction and homework.

Joni doesn't know a lot about Parelli, but was willing to try a lesson. Joni and Sky had a very similar lesson to my own, working on shoulder yields and hindquarter yields along with better departs. He comes down to our area about once a month. We are hoping we can convince Michael to hold lessons out at our barn in the Beavercreek area...wouldn't that be nice. Below are a few pictures of Joni, Sky, and Michael in their lesson. The last one is Maddy, content, not a care in the world, just make sure my haybag is full.

10 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

It looks like there was no reason for your fears with Maddy. She seems to be enjoying her day out, as long as the haybag is full. Glad you both liked your lesson.

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to have a good lesson, and that Maddy wasn't worried!

beckie said...

I'm heading out to audit one of his clinics here in S. Oregon today. Will soon be moving to the Colton area, looking for fellow Parelli-ites? Where are you in Beavercreek??

jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
photogchic said...

Hey Beckie,
Please do look me up when you get to our area...we are off Unger Rd. Email me any time at photogchic@hotmail.com

Jean said...

What a pretty girl your Maddy is. How nice to have a horse settle in like that and then do you proud in the clinic. I'm glad you had a good lesson and learned some new skills.

Jean said...

Meant to add that I'm sorry I haven't been here in a while...lost your link when my computer fried. I've got you bookmarked again!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Sounds like fun and Maddy is adorable.

Conley said...

Thanks for the review!!! We at Abbey Creek are eagerly looking forward to his visit (though I need afternoons & so won't be able to play in the reindeer games). You all are welcome to come play on our side of the river anytime!!!!!

D. Ward said...

Clinics and lessons are normally good for you and your horse! It looks like it went pretty well. =]

Maddy is really striking...