Sunday, March 8, 2009

Endurance Clinic

Pacific Northwest Endurance Riders hosted a clinic out our barn on Saturday. It was $25 for the whole day (including lunch!). The day started by talking nutrition and electrolytes. Then a presentation by Naomi Preston on Tellington T-touch...very interesting. For those that don't know, T-Team, is circular touching and motion designed to improve performance and health. My dressage trainer, Michelle Merkin gave a demo on finding your center of balance or the "sweet spot." She had us do some partner simulations to help demonstrate "harmony" with your horse. I think the endurance riders were braced for a dressage queen talk and they all seemed pleasantly surprised with Michelle's knowledge and analogies for use while riding endurance. She really is an amazing teacher.
I was reminded again how lucky I was to find her. Jeff Moore of Equine Rehab and Therapy had us watch three horses walk off and where to look for asymmetry in their movement. Noticing the rise or lack of rise of hips helps to diagnose pain. There was a segment on endurance ride vet checks and pulse taking and about then, my feet were numb and my teeth were chattering. I decided to call it a day. Throughout the day, I was reminded of my fortune of being surrounded with good horse people. I am still struggling with my decision to start looking around for other places to board. For me it is all financial. I board at a place where the majority of people are pretty well off...I am on other hand drive a Geo Tracker...need I say more:-)? Board increases to them, they probably barely flinch, but for me...it keeps me up at night. Things will work themselves out...they always do. Just trying not to stress about it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting day! It was great to hear of a clinic that involved looking at soundness, and also some good information from other disciplines - I think staying only within the strict boundaries of one discipline can be limiting.

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a cool clinic with some interesting topics. Sorry that you'll have to switch barns soon. Good luck on the search.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I thought I commented but I guess I forgot too. Duh. It does sound like an interesting clinic with lots of good info on different subjects. I'm hoping to go to one at the end of this month. Hope it's as good.

jacksonsgrrl said...

Sounds like an interesting clinic! I cannot belive how much your board is to begin with--I don't blame you for being kept awake at night by thoughts of an increase! I paid $225 per month before I moved Jackson to my friend's ranch and THAT gouged me....Now I am so lucky, I pay $50 a month and my hay and feed! I am truly blessed in that aspect. But, I'm sure things will work out...Good luck girl!

jill said...

I feel your pain. I have 2 horses and it gets very expensive. I like going to all sorts of clinics. You never know what you might learn. Good horsmanship is good horsmanship, no matter what discipline. By the way, I drive a Dodge Caliber, and love it! ;-)
Keep positive.

Anonymous said...

went to a similar endurance clinic last year... always good to meet hte "players" in the sport and learn something new. THo I havent found TTeam touch to be any more effective than anything else, but the vet check/rider safety stuff is huge. Good on ya

good luck w/the boarding
deeeep breath :)
gp

Callie said...

Sounds like an informative day! I love it when the local barn hosts these kinds of things. Makes for a fun day!

AareneX said...

New reader here.

I'm glad you enjoyed the endurance clinic (a bunch of my friends produced it! and I even saw familiar faces in your photos). Do you think you'll give the sport a try now?

Good luck finding a cheaper - and better - place to board. I think the rates you're paying are outrageous, there must be something better for you.

See you on the trails, maybe!

Rising Rainbow said...

I went to an edurance clinic a few years back. My poor toes remembered the cold just reading about you doing it now.

I think that friends of mine went to this clinic too. Haven't seen them since but I'm sure they'll have stories.